Almost Moving Day (within a few days)
If you are want to know how to avoid a stressful interstate relocation, read all of this and the other parts of our interstate moving checklist!
Finalise your packing. If you don’t absolutely need it pack it. Don’t leave it all to the day before your move as it could take longer than you think, at this point you should know your final box count. Let us know if there is any adjustment to your original list to avoid any stressful, last minute price adjustments.
Disassemble. Start disassembling what you can with the tools we suggested you set aside in part 5 of the interstate moving checklist. Typical items include kids play equipment, beds that aren’t being used, trampolines and large desks. If you own IKEA furniture, pull it apart! It doesn’t travel well no matter how good your interstate removalists are because of what lies beneath the veneer.
Back up your hard drive. Back up your data before packing your computer, potentially the best interstate moving tip you will ever get.
Are your gardens tidy? Give your lawn one last mow and snip the edges. Trim the bushes and blow or sweep the paths. What about weeding? Everyone’s favourite past time, its got to be done to ensure a full bond return or happy new owners. Empty your lawn mower, whipper snipper, blower and any other items of fuel as they may void your insurance as mentioned in part 5 of the moving checklist.
Handy tip. You’ll have less weight and far less mess for the move if you avoid watering your plants and move them under cover if rain is forecast, also wet pots leak and that water will run across the floor of the truck wetting other precious items. They are really hard on us removalists too!
If you have ever heard the saying “happy wife happy life”. Consider that “happy movers work smoother”.
Cash and Jewellery. Pack your cash, jewellery and any other small items of significant value in a box that you take with you on moving day.
- Keys: Make sure you have organised handover of your keys and getting the new keys
- On The Move Utilities connections should contact you moving week to confirm, if not call them to check 1300 785 247 to ensure this is take care of.
- House and carpet cleaners arrival time
- If you have booked us, we will do a last minute check to ensure everything is under control and you are comfortable with everything, essential to a stress-free interstate relocation.
Have you booked us yet? This may be your last chance to take advantage of our reliable staff, trusted reputation and 13 years’ experience in the moving industry.
We can usually accommodate last minute bookings, so if you are still in two minds we urge you to act now, avoid the hassles and make the call (08) 8358 0212.
Checklist: What you have achieved so far
Print this page and cross off what you have achieved.
- Know how much you have budgeted for, a dollar figure
- Will everything fit in the new house or do you need storage? If you need storage, have you arranged it or asked us to arrange it for you?
- Recorded and notified everyone that has sent you mail recently.
- De-cluttered – either sold, donated or dumped what you didn’t want.
- Arranged disconnection and reconnection of your utilities, gas, electricity and phone.
- Maximised your bond return or upheld your commitment to the new owners by:
1. Sending off the break lease forms or sale contracts and followed up on progress
2. Repairing damage caused during your tenancy or ownership
3. Arranging timely hand over the keys and timing your truck and cleaners
- Almost completely filled your Survival Kit: your ‘close me last, open me first box’. If not, at least put everything in it you need as advised in part 3 of the moving checklist
- Arranged a new school for the kids if moving to a new area.
- Notified every company and institution we listed in part 4 of the moving checklist.
- Collected records from the companies and institutions we listed in part 4.
- Arranged a mail redirect with Australia Post (very important).
- Arranged the kids to be baby sat on moving day if possible.
- Organised your personal transport and any accommodation you may need for your interstate trip keeping in mind there may be days between pick-up and delivery. Speak to your consultant if you are unsure about this.
- Arranged pet cages and transport or had us arrange this for you
- Chosen us as your interstate removalist company
- Arranged moving insurance.
- Made moving arrangements concerning your building, such as parking and council parking permits, elevator keys, elevator access and swipe cards as suggested in part 6 or the moving checklist, there is a link below to find it.
- Arranged your house and carpet cleaning.
- Packed a minimum50 percent of your house into boxes at least two days prior to your move and have the rest of your packing materials arranged. You must have all but 2-5 boxes packed the night before moving day.
If you have checked off everything that applies to your move, congratulations, you are well positioned to have a stress free and successful move!
You have done a great job and we make a great team. The rest is pretty simple from here on out.
If you missed it, we thoroughly recommend you check out part 6 of the checklist, it covers:
- interstate moving insurance
- moving in or out of an apartment and issues you may face
- Handing over and receiving keys &
Now check out the final crucial part of this series that covers the day before moving and moving day, part 8 of the interstate moving checklist includes:
- Cats running away
- Where you should be with your packing of the boxes
- What to check before you go to bed
- Moving day checklist (preparing for your removalists arrival)
- Final checks before traveling interstate to your new home
Alternatively, you may like to start at part 1 of the interstate moving checklist and work through all 8 parts.
Posted by: Corey Smith